1.01.2013

R2D2... The One Where I Kinda Lied + MonthWatch - December 2012.

Hello ladies and gentlemen, and welcome to the New Year! (Unless you're reading this exactly when I post it and you're on the West coast and/or in Arizona.)

Before I get into my explanation for the title of this post, I wanted to give the final MonthWatch and wrap that whole little thing up.



December

THEATRICAL (5)

Pulp Fiction - Seeing this in theater was really awesome!
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey - I really liked it, but I'll need to see it again in a home setting for final judgement. 
Lincoln - Amazing acting, but not very exciting.
Django Unchained - There were aspects I think could have been better, but I still loved it.
John Dies At The End - Watched VOD. Weird, and slightly confusing, but a lot of fun. I want to read the book now (as I've heard the film is only about a quarter of the book).


RE-WATCH (14)

The Dark Knight Rises - Both better and worse the second time. Saw more problems, but I love Bane more.
Lockout - Guy Pearce is great in this.
Oldboy - Showed this to a friend. Love this movie so much... 
Iron Man 2 - First watch since theater. It's really not as bad as most people say.
Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time - Yeah, I finally got to re-watch this months after the fact for the V.G. Movies article. And... it's still not that good.
The Cabin in the Woods - Another I showed a friend. One of my favorite films of the year.
Raiders of the Lost Ark - Got the Blu-Ray collection for Christmas, so went on a marathon. Hadn't seen this one in ages, but it is quite excellent, isn't it?
Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom - A few great/iconic moments connected together with really annoying/terrible ideas (primarily Willie).
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade - This one's my favorite, though Raiders is close.
Love, Actually - Christmas tradition for me!
Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skulls - It's not god-awful, but... it's not good, either.
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix - It came on TV, and I started watching with my mom... but we were annoyed with the commercials, so we just put in the DVD.
Looper - Yup. Still awesome.
The Avengers - One last viewing for the year!


FIRST TIME (32)
Lawless - Good performances... not a very exciting movie.
Beasts of the Southern Wild - I'll need to see this again. I wasn't overwhelmed like everybody else, but I really liked it.
Second Skin - For V.G. Movies. Not a bad doc... could have been much better, though.
Pusher - For 50/50. Surprisingly really liked it.
Men in Black 3 - Not too bad!
Sand Sharks - Sooo cheesy bad... and kinda fun.
The Loved Ones - Lame, derivative, and incredibly overrated.
Stake Land - It was... alright.
Dragon Age: Dawn of the Seeker - For V.G. Movies. Um, yeah... not very good.
Pusher II - For 50/50. Not as good as the first one, but I loved the ending.
Ted - It had some moments, but it really was a full-length, live action Family Guy episode.
A Nightmare on Elm Street 5: Dream Child - Hated this one.
Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmare - I kinda liked the second half of the film. First half was terrible, though.
Wes Craven's New Nightmare - My favorite of the bunch!
Make Believe - Really nice and charming documentary about teen magicians from around the world trying to make it big in Vegas.
The Bourne Legacy - Yeah... it's not good.
Ecstasy of Order: The Tetris Masters - For V.G. Movies. Very good documentary that goes right up there with King of Kong.
Pusher III - Just as good as the first film, yet very different.
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan - It was good, but I think I missed something having not watched the original show.
Star Trek III: The Search for Spock - TGWTG film To Boldly Flee makes SO much more sense now.
Countdown: Armageddon - Watched with a friend for its terribleness. And it really is. And Jesus is kinda creepy.
Premium Rush - For MILF. Not bad... pretty average. But fun enough.
Killer Joe - Great performances and crazy third act.
Resident Evil: Damnation - For V.G. Movies. You know... it actually wasn't that bad.
Infernal Affairs - For 50/50. Really good.
A World Without Thieves - Very slow start, but it eventually picks up and is pretty entertaining.
Sleepwalk With Me - It was alright. I like Mike Birbiglia, and I enjoyed it while I watched it, though I probably won't watch it again.
Rare Exports: A Christmas Tale - For MILF. Should have focused more on the dad than his son, but I liked what it did with the mythology.
Silent Night, Deadly Night - I really liked how it focused on the evolution of the killer rather than the victims.
Silent Night, Deadly Night Part 2 - Half summary of the first film, half super-cheese. GARBAGE DAY!
Silent Night - The remake-that-ignored-the-most-of-the-source material. It's OK for what it is, but it's really not that good of a movie.
Pitch Perfect - It tries really hard to be Dodgeball, but for a capella groups. It's decent, but makes some really bizarre comedic choices.

FINAL COUNT - 2012

Theatrical - 28
Re-Watch - 200
First Time - 277
TOTAL - 505


-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now that that's out of the way, it's time for an announcement. This message is pretty much for those of you who didn't heed my suggestion and listen to the beginning of Lair yesterday (and I still recommend you do that anyway, because it's hilarious).

Remember that whole thing where I said I was closing down the blog because it'd been 5 years and I was gonna be moving to Korea? Well, that part was true. What I didn't tell you, however, was that I would be launching a brand new combined website with Jason Soto and Nolahn--who also closed down their sites yesterday. We've been working hard on this for over a year (since at least November/December of 2011), so you have no idea how exciting it is to finally release it (and it kinda annoyed me that the Reel Insight ladies pulled the "closing down fake-out" first earlier in the year, since I was so gonna be doing that, too! :P ).

So this is the last official post of Random Ramblings of a Demented Doorknob. If you haven't already, you can find me (as well as Jason and Nolahn) over at our new website, Your Face!.

Thank you.

7 comments:

  1. This is beyond flabbergastment! :P

    Looking forward to following you crazy cats at the new digs.

    What got you watching Star Trek 2 & 3...but not any of the others? What did I miss?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After all the "The new Abrams Star Trek is gonna be a Kahn remake!" rumors, I figured I should watch it and see what all the hub-ub was about. And then I saw 3 was available on Instant, as well. And the TGWTG movie "To Boldly Flee" is partly based on that, so I wanted to see all the connections.

      Delete
  2. Woo! This is great news!

    Now I can knock down three spots on my Google Reader to just one! Looking beyond my own selfish interests, I'm really looking forward to checking out the new site.

    Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, because we invented the fake out back in April ;)

    Congrats on the merge!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.